Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dovetail Practice

First I checked the thickness of my board with my marking gauge.

Then I transferred that measurement to other board as a guideline for my depth of cut

Next I layed out the pins. I used the "Frank Klausz method"and started with the half pins.

Cutting the pins. (Be careful not to cut below your marking gauge line.)

Chiseling out the waste. (Ugh. I need to sharpen my chisel)

I transferred the markings to the other board with a sharp pencil like this.

Cutting the tails.

I cut out the waste between the tails with a coping saw.

I think it worked pretty good. I easily chiseled out the rest.

Chiseling out the waste and cleaning up the edges.

The finished joint. I think it turned out pretty good. I'm not expert or even an intermediate, but practice makes perfect and so I feel these are satisfactory.

With any luck, my dovetail joints will continue to look better and better! Anyway, it was time well spent.

4 comments:

  1. okay.....now where is my dovetailed chest?? snap to it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I found a two designs for dovetailed chests that I thought you would like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty cool man. It really does professional.

    ReplyDelete